When Mary Carryl, housekeeper to the Ladies of Llangollen died in 1809, it was decided that when the time
came all three would be buried together. In 1810 they erected a three-sided, gothic style monument
surrounded by railings over the grave in St Collen's churchyard. Eleanor Butler died in 1829 and Sarah Ponsonby in 1831.
The monument was restored by Hanes-Llangollen-History in time for its 200th anniversary in 2010.
The memorial plaques of Carrara marble to Eleanor Butler and Sarah Ponsonby were so badly
eroded they had to be replaced with replicas.
The originals can be seen in the Llangollen Museum. Photo Hanes-Llangollen-History.
More information: www.hanes.llangollen.co.uk