Eliseg's Pillar, originally supporting a stone cross, is prominently sited in the Eglwyseg valley.
It was erected in the first half of the 9th century by Cyngen in honour of his great grandfather,
Eliseg, who had reunited the kingdom by retaking land once conquered by the English.
In 1696 the antiquarian Edward Lhuyd recorded the original inscription of the pillar
before it had deteriorated to its now largely illegible state, and the artist
Thomas Rowlandson made a drawing of it in 1797.
A great deal of research and excavation work has been carried out recently.
More information: www.llangollenmuseum.org.uk