Llangollen Bridge is one of the ‘Seven Wonders of Wales’ and was built by
Bishop John Trevor c. 1345. Widened in the 16th and 20th centuries,
it allowed the town to develop on both sides of the river Dee, which rises in Snowdonia and flows through Bala Lake to Chester.
Until the 1950s coracle fishing was carried out on the river, especially in the Llangollen area.
In recent years salmon stocks have improved and otters have returned to the river.
Famous for its white water, the river has hosted many national and international canoeing competitions,
including the 1980s/1990s’ TV programme ‘Paddles Up’.
More information: www.llangollenmuseum.org.uk